Heyyyyyy guyssss, welcome back to The Kim Konnection *que the fireworks*. Today’s blog is a little different seeing as it is a review of a show I recently finished watching on Netflix. I watch a lot of Netflix and movies, so these reviews are going to be pretty common from here are on out, but I decided to get the ball rolling with the one and only… Riverdale. So let’s have a chat, shall we? Check out the video below for the full review!
Did you watch the video? I hope you did, but here’s a little recap if you didn’t (but you did so it’s fine). My reviews are set up in a way where I talk about the good, the alright, and the ugly of a movie or show, which is a play off of the good, the bad, and the ugly. The things I talk about in the reviews will be very basic, face value and relatively spoiler free. Enough people write in depth reviews that make you want to debate your heart out about them on Facebook, and I’m not going to be one of those people. I refuse. My reviews are simple and they’re funny because that’s what The Kim Konnection is all about, amiright?
So let’s get into Riverdale. Riverdale is a TV show based on the Archie comics. It’s an ensemble show that centers around the murder of Jason Blossom, son of the richest family in Riverdale, and it focuses on Archie and his friends Betty, Veronica, Jughead (I know, ridiculous, right?), Cheryl (not really his friend, but important), and all their other friends. You can read more about the show by clicking here.
- Good Plot – It’s a murder mystery that sends you in circles trying to figure out who the killer is and then leaves off on a cliff hanger. What more could I want, honestly?
- Genuine Friendships – The friendships on this show go through a lot but in the end, Archie and his friends have each other’s best interest at heart. Is there shade and betrayal? Duh, it’s a CW show. But it’s nothing a trip to the local diner (and the truth) can’t fix.
- One Semi-Realistic Character – One of the characters on the show, Veronica, is not from Riverdale, but she moves there with her mother. As a result Veronica is the only one who calls Riverdale out on it’s weird shit. Thank you Veronica for stating the obvious that no one else apparently sees. Also, it’s funny when she does it.
- It Looks Good – The cast of this show is a mess (I’ll get into that later), but damn do they look good. Not Teen Wolf good (the entire cast of Teen Wolf was so hot honestly I don’t know how they did it), but they look Gossip Girl good. Also, the way it’s filmed and the set looks good. Not House of Cards good, but Gossip Girl good (I’m sensing a theme here…).
- Archie Is Gullible – Despite this being an ensemble show, Archie is 110% the main character, which means he’s on camera lot. This would be fine if it weren’t for how gullible he was. Archie will believe anything that sounds kind, even if it’s blatantly a lie. For example, he was in a relationship with someone on the show, yet he didn’t know a thing about her and failed to see that she was essentially using him to save her own ass. He also started to hang out with the villain of the show thinking that she had good intentions. Spoiler alert: she didn’t. Archie needs to get it together.
- Problematic Cast And Story Elements – This technically could be placed in the ugly section, but I already filmed the video with it in this section, so it’s staying here. Basically some of the cast members have said some very questionable things outside of the show that raised more than a few eyebrows. Also, with it’s inclusion of people of color and a homosexual character the show is considered “progressive” but many argue that it’s actually not. Check out these links to learn more about Riverdale’s controversies:
- Slow At Times – There are some plot lines that dragggggggggg on in this show. Some of these include Archie’s desire to be a musician, Jughead’s daddy issues, Veronica’s daddy issues, and more. I understand these help the show move along, but speed it up Riverdale, I don’t have all day.
- The Parents – The parents on this show are horrendous. And it’s not just one or two, it’s like 6 or 7. Judhead’s dad sucks, his mom sucks (and you don’t even see her), Veronica’s dad sucks (you don’t see him either), both of Betty’s parents suck, Cheryl’s parents are satan reincarnated, Josie’s dad sucks, Josie’s mom is shady af, and more. The list can go on, and on. Moral of the story, the parents on this show are selfish as hell and don’t love their kids they way they should. They’re either trying to control their every move, neglecting them, essentially living vicariously through them or shaming them viciously when they do any wrong. They suck. End of story.
- The Sheriff – He’s an idiot. He’s being manipulated by the richest family in town (the Blossom’s) and he doesn’t do any real detective work in my opinion. He gets convenient evidence, makes an arrest and calls it a day. Meanwhile, Archie and co. are essentially Sherlock Holmes and solve the murder. Like it’s ridiculous. Watch a crime movie and get it together, Sheriff.
- Incest – That word alone should tell you that this is fucked up. The Blossom’s are a mess, and the fact that they’re the ones guilty of this should tell you that. For example (I’m not going to ruin it for those who haven’t seen it yet), Cheryl and her late brother Jason were very close. And the way she talks about him, it’s easy for one to think that they were a little too close. It’s sus. It’s gross. It’s shocking. It’s annoying. And I hope it’s not as prominent in season two because I’m disgusted and over it.
Well everyone, that was my review of Riverdale. Overall I would give it like a 5/10. Will I watch season two? Probably, I want to see what happens. I went into this show not expecting it to be that good, so I wasn’t surprised when it wasn’t. It’s an easy watch that’s entertaining and should not be taken too seriously. With that being said, we cannot ignore the problematic issues surrounding this show and its cast. I encourage you to click the links above and read them before you decide if Riverdale is for you. If this show wasn’t on Netflix, you wouldn’t catch my ass anywhere near it, but alas.
I hope you enjoyed this review and found it helpful. If you’ve seen Riverdale please let me know what you think and we can have a little chit chat. I’ll talk to you all soon and as always, lots of love xx.